Friday 20 December 2013

Not looking good at the moment :(

Today, I just received my first Medicine rejection from Birmingham. I was absolutely distraught and it took a lot for me to accept it. I simply wasn't good enough - it's an indicator that I still have a lot more work to do to get to where I want to be, and perhaps an indicator that I need to do more to get ready for the medical vocation.

In addition, my Hull interview a couple of days ago kind of went belly up. I don't want to say more, but it just wasn't good enough.

There's still hope

I really do pray for an offer for Medicine (in Jesus' Name)... I basically have two lives left: Barts and St George's. I'm more likely to get an interview at St George's, but I promptly need to sort out getting references for my work experience. Also the competition for Barts has sky-rocketed this year: 800 interviews from 2600 applicants. Will my 611 (651) tarriff + 2870 UKCAT be enough?

I'm still as determined as ever to get into Medicine. Knocked down, but certainly not knocked out. Rejections only make you stronger, as long as you get back up. If anything, my devotion to get into Medicine has increased two-fold, which is kind of ironic, but utterly true.

Priorities now:
  • It's the Christmas Holidays now: up the tempo to getting 41 - 45 points in the IB 
  • Reflect on my two interview performances: where did I go wrong? What would I do differently if I were to do it again? How will I improve for future interviews, in order to match and potentially beat the competition? (My experiences have really brought home the extent of the competition for Medicine - the calibre is incredibly strong) Interview techniques-wise? Which qualities do I need to enhance?
  • Remember the goal of getting into Medicine, but still try to enjoy myself + some social and recreational exposure with friends, and come back to equanimity 
Now, I can only move forwards. Medicine is the number one goal, I will get in, in Jesus' name.

Not feeling particularly merry at the moment, but, Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment