Thursday 4 July 2013

UCAS predictions and university open days

I'm posting at this time because I am an IB student. Fact.

Well I received my UCAS predictions today (well, yesterday). 766-766 is what they are. Overall, my school predicts me to achieve 40 points, including the core points, so I am very pleased to have entered the much coveted 40+ point territory, and moreso because I am predicted a 6 in Geography, which I was worrying so much about!

This is what will be going on my UCAS application form (I think UCAS website has recently updated to cater for 2014 entry applicants, which is why my school conducted a UCAS PS session on Tuesday, which I missed - I'll later explain why) and it nicely fulfills that 666 at HL typical entry requirement :D. Oh and I had my Geography retake exam on Monday, in which I felt I did pretty well, but in a way it turns out that it was kind of pointless as my UCAS prediction had already been formulated BEFORE I took the test. Anyway considering I am predicted 7's in Biology and Maths, I am EVER SO SLIGHTLY ticked off for that not being the case for Chemistry, especially considering that on the mocks I had in April, I was 3-4 marks off a 7, mainly due to my inability to read instructions (answering all 4 questions in a rushed manner when I was only meant to answer two!). A little harsh IMO. Well. There is a retake tomorrow I have put myself forward for, which I have to boss, revisionless. TBH though, I'm just over the moon that I've got the right predictions!

That aside, there's a UKCAT presentation tomorrow which I am conducting in my school's Biomedical Society... on Decision Analysis! Looking forward to it. Presentation skills, teaching and verbal communication... all relevant to medicine. And as I said, I STILL will be leaving it for a later blog post to talk more about UKCAT. And right after my presentation, as I said, I've got a retest in which I'm going to try and push for that 7 in Chemistry, the subject that is most relevant to MEDICINE - that's the motive. Would also be a better exemplification of my passion for science during admissions, for sure.

So why did I miss the UCAS session? I visited Brighton and Sussex medical school for their open day...

It wasn't amazing. The Sussex campus was pretty comfy and was rather sexy in appearance but the Brighton campus sucked, and the sight of smokers who looked rough, didn't do it any favors. The clinical skills part of the course takes places in Brighton, and theory stuff in Sussex. Pretty cool and well organised IMO. If I do end up applying and becoming a successful applicant to BSMS, I think that I will fight tooth and nail to get on the Sussex Campus.

Good points
As with anything though, I tried to gain what I could out of the day. A particular highlight was the dissection room tour, in which there were a DOZEN CADAVERS! Astonishing. There were real body parts and prosected organs all around the room! I saw prosected kidneys of various diseases, including a pair that was so diseased many of us thought they were lungs! It was great to see this, I don't think I had ever witnessed anything so transfixing before, apart from my surgery work exp. I learnt a bit of human anatomy and a bit on disease. It was a fantastic engagement, very captivating.

The picture...
Size: BSMS take on a small cohort of around 150, so it has an intimate environment. Like St George's. Loved the sound of that

Location: Beautiful town, lots to do, good weather, bars, clubs, social sites, and near the coast + can't forget Brighton Pier.

IB requirements: They require 36 points with core points, and 6's in Bio and Chem, so I have certainly surpassed entry requirements as far as academics go.

UKCAT requirements: Only used in borderline cases after interview :) Sensible, seeing as, while I don't think there's an issue regarding the structure, format or difficultly of this admissions test and the challenge it provides, I sort of despise its purpose -  it's significant utilization for admissions into Medicine; it's not suited. Can't be complaining at this stage though.

EXC: They've got a decent football team. Decent student union.

Prestige: It's not a Russell Group university.

Teaching: The teaching methods are a fantastic highlight in my opinion. They focus on the use of technology, with a mix of seminars, clinical skills assessment (in clinical years) using a technologically advanced mannequin (it's pretty cool, there are these weird windows on the sides of the rooms that look like mirrors to you but are actually transparent, so assessors outside can examine you without making the environment pressurized or unnatural!) in the simulator, teamwork dissection (as I earlier mentioned), lectures... so a lot of integration with early clinical experience. In this sense it was pretty appealing in terms of course layout. I got to use some of the technology, doing a quiz on misc. medical GK on a computer! It was an insight into the way the uni is resourced in terms of teaching, and the forms of self-assessment through means like computed quizzes as I mentioned. Again, fantastic...

Structure: The course structure, mind you, sounds very sexy. It is system based, and integrated, mixing theory and practical in a very intertwined way, over the five years. I still need to read up more on the course structure though, and I will as not everything sank in. Yet it does seem well structured and organised - it looks great: high student satisfaction, and you know exactly what's coming up in your exams. Brill. And also... EARLY PATIENT CONTACT :).

Verdict: Great! I will definitely consider applying, but it all depends on that UKCAT score. They look at GCSEs well, so applying there compliments my strengths (according to TSR), although they won't look at my 766-766. It is an amazing teaching medical school though, and I would definitely be satisfied on the "learning" side of things if I went there, as well as the location...
But things to consider...

Another point: To be honest though, I knew from the very beginning that BSMS (due to not being russell group, and also because this might mean being surrounded by non-medics not being as academically driven as you etc etc. + lower entry standards grades-wise) was always going to be a "lower banker option" like St George's. Yet from the visit I had back in May, I can still say that St George's was A LOT better in terms of accommodation, convenience (small hospital campus), the fact that it's based in a hospital (spurring on motivation), and the fact that I'd be surrounded mostly by healthcare trainees and medics... and I'm probably even being a bit partial just because it's in London. I don't feel as much as a Sussex student ATM. St George's would seem the more likely option... for now. Still, guess I might need to start preparing myself to be a Sussex student just in case! It's all about choosing somewhere to be happy for 5-6 years.

But as I said, the only downside that I have currently, is regarding it not being in the Russell Group. Yet, it is difficult to already ascertain where I'll apply to.

Argh, I don't know if I'll apply.
Other open days I have been to are King's College and as I said St George's, both in May '13. Also, I have had a look at beautiful Imperial College on a "Potmed" student union event there back in Oct '12 (check it out, was a really cool and insightful med school application workshop at probably the sexiest university I've visited yet). More, I am visiting Barts for the first time on 26th of this month! KCL and St George's open days were great (George's also a competitor the best I've been to yet)... strictly speaking... could I potentially apply to four London uni's, Imperial, Barts, George's and KCL? Who knows, still need to get to the Midlands and visit Birmingham.

These are the open days/university visits I have been to and have coming up
  • Imperial October '12
  • KCL May '13
  • St George's May '13
  • BSMS July '13
  • Barts and the London July 26th
  • Southampton September '13
  • Birmingham September '13
I've got my eyes set on going to a few other university campus tours during the summer. For example, I missed out on Oxbridge and UCL open days that were in June. Also I need to see Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds and Sheffield if possible, because I like the sound/feel.

But generally, every medical school I've visited has been great! I will be pleased to go anywhere to be fair, so long as I can achieve that dream - there really isn't such a thing as a "bad medical school" and prestige shouldn't be an overriding factor.

UKCAT and more uni visits will substantiate my decisions I believe (all this talk of UKCAT, and I still haven't done a blog post on it, but it's coming!)

JA

No comments:

Post a Comment